Information courtesy of the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
The US Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have approved the Healthy Indiana Plan (HIP) through at the year 2020. While the core elements of HIP will stay the same, Indiana will be offering several enhancements to the program to help streamline services and address the state’s most pressing health needs.
These changes include:
- New benefits and approximately $80 million in annual funding authority for substance use disorder treatment for members struggling with addictions.
- Chiropractic benefits are being added for HIP Plus members to go along with the vision and dental benefits already available.
- Pregnant members will stay in HIP when pregnant and move into HIP Maternity. They will receive enhanced benefits and will not be subject to cost sharing.
- HIP will increase efforts to help members stop smoking and using tobacco. Members who use tobacco will have a year of HIP coverage to stop tobacco use or have a 50 percent higher POWER Account contribution.
- For each non-emergency visit to the emergency room, members will be charged a $8 copay. There will no longer be a $25 copayment charged for subsequent visits.
- Members who do not participate in their annual eligibility redetermination process will not be able to reenroll for six months following termination of benefits. If members comply within three months of their redetermination date, benefits will be restored.
- Starting in 2019, participation in the Gateway to Work program will be required for some HIP members. Unless they fall into one of several exempt categories, such as being medically frail, pregnant, in treatment for substance use, or having a child younger than school age to take care of, HIP members will be required to work, go to school, volunteer or participate in other qualifying activities up to 20 hours a week.
For more on these changes, visit the HIP website here. For questions or more information, contact the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) at HIP2.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Communications
The Fifth Freedom Network