Free national parks pass for people with disabilities

Information courtesy of the National Parks Service

Spring’s almost here, so get out and enjoy the great outdoors! And now, people with disabilities can enjoy federal recreation sites for free.

When you visit a federal recreation site, like Indiana Dunes or the Lincoln Boyhood Memorial, just present some documentation of disability status and ask for the free Access Pass. Documentation includes a physician’s statement, or a document issued by a State or Federal agency like the Veteran’s Administration, Social Security Disability Income, Supplemental Security Income, or a vocational rehabilitation agency. The pass gives you and three adults free admission to federal recreation sites around the country, and it’s good for life!

You can also order by mail, but that requires a $10 shipping and handling fee. You can order by mail by filling out the form here (pdf) .

For more details, or to find a recreation site, visit the National Park Service’s Web site.

Have fun out there!

Doug Schmidt
Act Team Coordinator
The Fifth Freedom Network

Skip to content