Information courtesy of the Governor’s Council for People with Disabilities
Are you a person with a disability, or a parent of a child with a disability? Do you want to make a difference in your community? Consider applying for this year’s Partners in Policymaking Academy!
Partners will teach you leadership skills and how to form relationships with the people who make the policy that affect the services you and your family use. Learn to work with elected officials, school personnel, and others to make a difference.
Session topics may include:
- History of the independent living, parent, & people first/self-advocates movements
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, special education, & other education issues
- Preparing & giving testimony before Indiana state & local legislators
- Federal policy & legislative issues, the Americans with Disabilities Act & other federal disability laws, & communicating effectively with federal policymakers
- Community organizing, & working with community groups & the media
If you are selected, you will attend 8 monthly sessions in the Indianapolis area. Generally, sessions run October through May, and are Friday from noon to 8:30 pm, and Saturday from 9 am to 4:00 pm. You will also complete a personal community project.
You can also call (317) 232-7770, or e-mail Partners@gcpd.in.gov.
Act Team Coordinator
The Fifth Freedom Network