- This event has passed.
Governor’s Council for People with Disabilities Annual Conference – December 7-8 in Indianapolis
September 25, 2015 At8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Information courtesy of the Indiana Governor’s Council for People with Disabilities
Life for people with disabilities is notably better today than 25 years ago, in large part due to the 1990 passage of the ADA. But the ADA traces its history to the longstanding efforts of individuals with disabilities, their families and advocates who continuously challenged societal barriers that kept them isolated and excluded from the same educational, employment and recreational opportunities enjoyed by all citizens.
With the theme, ADA at 25: Moving Forward, Looking Back, this year’s conference creates a forum for attendees to continue the work of the disability rights movement, explore innovative ways to influence positive change, share experiences and learn from one another.
This year’s conference features:
- HEAR opening session speaker Lawrence Carter-Long from the National Council on Disability recall the march toward inclusion and the passage of the ADA.
- HEAR disability advocates and experts at our luncheon plenary session discuss the future of the disability rights movement. The session is moderated by John Krull, host of WFYI radio’s “No Limits” and director of the Pulliam School of Journalism at Franklin College.
- LEARN from Sue Jamieson, lead counsel for the landmark Olmstead v. L.C. case, as she talks about the historic impact of that Supreme Court decision and its continued relevance to community inclusion.
- ATTEND the conference’s inaugural #IincludeU Film Festival and enjoy films that promote awareness and appreciation of the lives, stories and artistic expressions of people with disabilities.
- CHOOSE from 20 workshops spanning five workshop tracks: A Voice of My Own, A Family of My Own, A Career of My Own, A Life of My Own and Policy Matters.
- VISIT the assistive technology lab, sponsored by INDATA, to learn about the latest assistive technology and software.
- DANCE the night away with other attendees during our evening reception.
For questions or more information, contact Tina Mahern, Conference Coordinator, at 317-313-4046 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Act Team Coordinator
The Fifth Freedom Network